We're so glad you've decided to join us. We guarantee a regular yoga and pilates practice will make your life better in so many ways. If you feel nervous or intimidated, no problem. Many people feel that way initially. Just don’t let it stop you from coming to class. Every class is a beginners class. With a bit of practice you’ll feel right at home. Our small classes ensure you get all the attention you need to progress quickly.
Drink plenty of water throughout the day so you’re well hydrated for class. Proper hydration helps all your bodily systems and makes you feel more comfortable in the heat.
Chose a time that’s convenient for you and show up 15-20 minutes early to sign up and meet the teacher. Wear clothes you are comfortable sweating in. No loose or baggy clothing. Be ready to sweat, stretch and have fun!
The Bikram Method and Inferno Hot Pilates are for everyone. To quote Bishnu Ghosh, “it’s never too late, you’re never too old, you’re never too sick, to start again from scratch.” Come to class, and with the guidance of your teacher, simply approach every posture to the best of your ability and you will receive 100% benefit.
Don’t think you have to be in shape before coming to class--a regular practice will help you quickly gain strength and flexibility. You will feel challenged by the yoga during class--everyone does. Always do your best but take breaks if you need to by sitting down. It’s normal, especially as beginners, to feel dizzy, nauseated or lightheaded. It’s temporary. As your body acclimates to the heat and postures, these sensations disappear.
During class nobody will judge you. The teacher will guide you with compassion and respect. There’s no need to be self conscious. Everyone is so focused on themselves that they will not notice you.
Take your second class within 24 hours. This will help you get over initial soreness and acclimate to the heat. Make up your mind to take 10 classes as quickly as possible to experience how good yoga and pilates make you feel.
Most importantly, remember everyone had their first class. Experienced practitioners make it look easy because they persevered--you can too! You’re ready to rock. Pick a convenient class time and come as soon as you can. We can’t wait to meet you.
What to Bring
- yoga mat*
- large towel*
- drinking water*
- light, fitted exercise clothing
*We have yoga mats and towels available to rent. And water available to purchase.
What do I need to bring with me?
• You don’t need to sign up in advance, but please arrive at least 15 minutes before class. This will give you enough time to register, change, and become used to your surroundings.
• Dress as if you were going to the beach – light, fitted exercise clothing work fine. Avoid baggy T-shirts and pants. A sleeveless top and shorts are best. Don’t worry about shoes – you’ll be doing your yoga barefoot.
• Avoid eating 2-3 hours before class – yoga is always best practiced on an empty stomach. Some people however need to have a little something in their belly (such as a piece of fruit or an energy bar). You’ll soon work out what works for you and what your body needs.
• Be well-hydrated! Drink lots of water before coming to class. We should be drinking 2 liters a day anyway, but on the days you do hot yoga you should drink 3-4 liters!
• Come with an open mind. Be ready to laugh a little, maybe cry a bit, and to sweat a lot!
How much water should I drink?
LOTS! You can lose several pounds of water during class. You should be drinking 1-2 liters per day, every day. On the days you practice Hot Yoga, you’ll need up to 3-4 liters.
How often should I practice?
As often as you can. “For great results, practice three times per week. For life changing results, practice six days per week”. One class is better than nothing. Six classes per week (with one day rest) are amazing.
Do I need to supplement my diet?
Everyone is different – it is a matter of listening to your body. If you’re feeling sluggish, dizzy or even nauseous during or after the class you may be dehydrated or mineral deficient. Make sure you are drinking plenty of water. You might also like to try some electrolytes for extra sodium and potassium that is lost via sweating.
Can I lose weight?
YES! Whenever you are moving your body, you are burning calories. In a 90 minute hot yoga class you can burn between 350-500 calories. You’ll find as you feel better about your body, you’ll begin to make better food choices. Meanwhile, your cravings for sugar, salt and caffeine will decrease, and you’ll eat less junk – good news for your waistline! We have had several students each lose over 40 lbs!
Can I start right away?
YES! See our schedule. The majority of our classes are for beginners.
What are some of the benefits of Bikram Method and Inferno Hot Pilates?
- Burns body fat and elevates your metabolism
- Reduces stress• Increases flexibility
- Builds strength and endurance
- Increases muscle tone
- Helps with back, neck, shoulder and knee pain
- Improves quality of sleep
- Improves your posture
- Improves circulation
- Reduces risk of injury
- Raises energy level
- Increases balance, coordination, focus and discipline
- Improves healthy and balanced functioning of the skeletal, muscular, circulatory, digestive, respiratory, endocrine and nervous systems of the body
- Strengthens the immune system
Why the heat?
The heat does the following 6 things:
1. Enhances vasodilatation* so that more blood is delivered to the muscles.
2. Allows oxygen In the blood to detach from the hemoglobin more easily.**
3. Speeds up the breakdown of glucose and fatty acids.
4. Makes muscles more elastic, less susceptible to injury.
5. Elevates your metabolism and burns fat more easily.
6. Increases perspiration and therefore detoxification.
You are changing the construction of your body as you perform these postures. Think of it as a piece of steel. When the steel is hot it becomes soft. When the steel is cool, it is easier to break and does not bend as easily. The heat makes your body more malleable. Warm muscles are more elastic and less susceptible to injury. Warmer temperatures produce a fluid-like stretch that allows greater range of motion. Cold muscles don’t absorb shock or impact as well and aren’t stretched as well so they get injured more readily.
Additionally, the oxygen and blood exchange rate is more rapid so you are getting more oxygen to your tissues, and your heart is more efficient. It is clearing out the valves of the heart chambers. It helps to flush out the arteries. Sweating is important because it takes the majority of the workload off the kidneys and the liver allowing the skin, which is the largest organ of the body, to excrete toxins. It exfoliates the skin by ridding the dead skin cells, so your skin will become clearer.
The capillaries that weave around the muscles respond to the heat by dilating. This brings more oxygen to the muscles and helps in the removal of waste products such as carbon dioxide and lactic acid.
* When blood passes through warm muscles oxygen releases more easily from the hemoglobin. Blood passing through cold muscles releases less oxygen.
** Warm muscles burn fat more easily than cold ones. Fat is released during stress. The stress of intense exercise causes a deluge of fatty acids into the blood stream. If you exercise with cold muscles, the muscles cannot use the fatty acids, and the fatty acids end up in places where they aren’t wanted, such as the lining of the arteries.
NOTE: Muscles aren’t the only beneficiaries of heat. Higher temperatures improve the function of the nervous system, meaning that messages are carried more rapidly to and from the brain and spinal cord.What health concerns do I need to look out for?Always follow your doctor’s orders and consult with your doctor if you are on any medications or have any known health issues. Pay attention to your body during class, and if necessary, consult your doctor when your symptoms change.
Dizziness or nausea may occur during your class. If this happens, LAY DOWN and do not try to work through this! Usually it will pass in a few minutes. As you progress, these occurrences will disappear as your body adapts to the heat and your fitness improves.